Imagine the stunned delight upon discovering a New Year’s listing of realistic resolutions in the January/February AARP bulletin. Delight in the nature of the ten items. Stunning, that such “Duh!” is considered news. But give writer Nissa Simon her due – it’s a great listing.
Drum roll, please. And the 10 resolutions for better health in 2013 are:
1. Party more. An active social life is good for your health.
2. Get a pet. A fish will do, but furry mammals work wonders for emotional and mental fitness.
3. Eat more chocolate. Your instinct is to do this anyway. Now, your instinct is shown to be correct. Oh, it is supposed to be dark chocolate. (Usual disclaimer not to eat too much, of course, all those calories.)
4. Drink your coffee and enjoy it – it’s good for you. Duh.
5. After the coffee, have some wine, or a beer. Either and/or both, it seems, contribute to better health. (Usual disclaimer that you shouldn’t enjoy yourself too much.)
6. Sex is good for you. (Whoever had a doubt?)
7. Listen to more music. Music of your choosing, that is, not subject yourself to the discord of others.
8. Snooze more. Much of the world understands the value of an afternoon nap. Seems like
they’re on to something healthy as well.
9. Get outside. Take in nature, hug a tree, notice the ground, heck, small stuff, but Nature(I add the capital) is powerful stuff. I think this is a really good suggestion for youth.
10. And finally, according to Simon, no need to get fancy with the soaps and cleansers. Wash up with plain soap and time (yeah, not a rush job) does the trick.
Granted, not everyone can do the chocolate, coffee, wine/beer for body chemistry reasons. But the spirit of the list is to enjoy what body sense prefers. Don’t you enjoy a cat purring? A happy pup? (If you and animals don’t get along, that’s fine, but please don’t interfere with someone else enjoying the critters.) Your body says “I want a nap, now.” Heck, see what happens. Might just have a happier body with a snooze break. Music is the language of the Spheres. Consider it meditation, playing with the Cosmos. As for sex, well if you doubt it’s good, then by all means don’t do it. Others may have a different perspective. As for social interaction, well, birds of a feather do flock together. The more fun you’re having everyday increases the probability you’ll run into similar people, and they you.
Bottom line is, of course, attitude. 2013 is a good year to enjoy a good attitude and the good things that go with it. The above list is a good start.
Post a Comment
Comments welcome. You know the etiquette.